About Me

My photo
a baker-holic, choc fanatic, dessert-freak.. yeah and i'm south asian :). A happy member of the Fuqua Class of 2011.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cornell Johnson Interview..

So get this.. Johnson's results are announced on March 18th (i think), and they are apparently interviewing up til March 17th! wow! anyway so I was just notified last week of an interview invite, and I scheduled it.. here's a re-cap:

I had my Johnson (Cornell) interview last night, which lasted for 40 minutes. It was on the phone with an ad-com representative, and was a blind interview. The questions were pretty routine:

-Why MBA, why now, what are your post-MBA plans
- Discussion on your career to date, what roles you have had, skills learned etc
- example of a time when you had a conflict in team and how you reacted to it
- example of a leadership situation - where you had to convince a colleague or team about something they disagreed with
- Why Cornell.. this I feel is the most important aspect for Johnson. They really want to see how motivated you are to attend Johnson, whether you'll be a good fit, and whether you actually have an idea of what they prize themselves on
- What 3 adjectives would I use to describe you to the Admissions committee 
-What student clubs are you interested in
- What Immersion Program will you join
- Any questions for me

Basically, I spoke to a few friends who are current MBA students / alums before my interview, and also got a feel from them regarding the community, culture, opportunities, Cornell's strengths etc. Made sure to mention this in the interview, and the ad-com person was quite happy to hear that I actually knew people studying there.. I think they really want you to know as much about the school as you can at this stage.. 
A few points I think any Cornell prospective should consider discussing are:
-it's extremely collegial, small, collaborative community. average class size is roughly 260 only, so you know everyone on campus. you don't feel lost.
- Strength of immersion programs
- Cornell connections - you benefit from overall Cornell University's resources, curriculum, activities etc.
- Brand name
- Strong alumni network

:) Good luck to other prospectives!

No comments: